Course Description: This course is designed to provide the student with both scriptural and historical background on the order of Deacons in the Lord’s Church. Emphasis is placed on the duties and functions of Deacons within the local parish and the community.
Objective: The objective of this course is to identify and clarify the work and ministry of the Deaconate. Additionally, the student will be provided with an understanding of the differences in the three major orders of the Church (Deacons, Priests, and Bishops).
This course is required for all students enrolled in the Licentiate in Sacred Theology Program. Topics covered in this course are as follows:
- Preparation for the Deaconate
- Permanent -VS- Transitional Deacons
- Educational Requirements of the Deaconate
- Spiritual/Scriptural Requirements of the Deaconate
- The Function of Deacons at the Altar
- The Deacon, the Priest, and the Bishop